How do I become an ultrasound tech?

I am already a LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse). I found out that I can go to get my RN in a year and then go to Chattanooga State for a year or I can just go through a year program to become one but I know several people who have said that they know people who didn’t go to school that long an they received certificates. Where can I do this at?

Get Your Degree!

Find schools and get information on the program that’s right for you.

Powered by Campus Explorer


  1. Eva Cooper says:

    You must find an accredited Diagnostic Medical Sonography program in your state and achieve a degree (whether associates or bachelors) first. You will also need clinical practice under supervision (whether during school or after, depending on the program… although I would highly suggest finding a school that offers both the classroom and clinical education together). Then you will have to take at least two state board examinations. One MUST be the Physics Exam and then you can choose between many different specialty exams (i.e. Abdomen, OB/GYN). Once you pass both of those you will be considered a Registered Diagnostic Medical Sonographer. That is the general requirement for anyone working in the field. Some hospitals will hire you before you pass both exams, but put a time limit on when your RDMS must be achieved.

    This may be of some help to you:

    Good Luck! :)

  2. sunflower says:

    You just need to find an accredited program that is open to people like you with a previous degree; these are typically certificate programs: